I stopped in my local thrift store last night and hit the jackpot. I found 4 vintage Vera Neumann scarves for $1.99 each! Actually the first 3 were $1.99 and the 4th was free with my coupon.--SCORE! Clearly I was taught well by my thrifty (cheap) dad and mom whose favorite sport is yard saling.
Here are some pics of my beautiful new scarves:
I'm no expert, but from what I was able to find online about the changes in her signature I would guess these date from the early 60s-mid70s. They probably don't hold much real value as vintage Vera scarves, while collectible, are still fairly easy to find in vintage stores and these do show some signs of age (a few pin holes and some small spots). But for $6 they are definitely one of my favorite finds. Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do with them. I could wear them as intended or maybe repurpose them into something fabulous like this.
Now that the weather is getting colder, it's time for some new slippers. Instead of buying a new pair, I decided to attempt to make my own. I used this pattern and some fun fabric I had in my stash.
I have to admit I struggled a bit with the pattern. It looked simple but the whole process just took a lot longer than I anticipated. I might have just been having an off day but I felt like I spent more time with the seam ripper than the sewing machine on this project. Also, handsewing the soles was quite time consuming.
Despite the difficulty, they are comfy and I like the funky mismatched look of the fabric I used. They could stand to be a bit warmer, but the wool felt soles take off a bit of chill. When winter sets in I might be inspired to try another pair with some modifications to add some warmth.
I finally finished my quilt. It took several months and quite a bit of cursing but I'm really pleased with the result. Here are lots of pics:
I'm so glad I took June's advice and invested in a walking foot for my machine. It definitely made the quilting process much easier. I'm also grateful to this helpful tutorial on continuous quilt binding. I think it will be a while before I attempt another project of this size, but it feels good to know that I can do it.