Sunday, March 8, 2009

Extreme Sewing

I was invited to crash the Thimble Pleasures quilting guild retreat this past weekend. The ladies of the guild are some of the most welcoming, talented and generous women I have ever met. They are also rowdy, foul mouthed and lots of fun. The weekend was filled with sewing, socializing and fabric shopping. I had a blast even though I was scolded for turning in early (at 11pm) on Saturday. I could tell some stories but I get the impression that what happens at the quilting retreat stays at the quilting retreat and I definitely want to be invited back next year.

I'm not working on another quilt but I did finish up a couple of projects this weekend. First up is the Chemisette Handbag.



I love the pattern but I found the finished bag was smaller than the photo suggested. It's still a very usable size, just not what I was expecting. The pattern was fairly easy to follow although I used a different gathering method than the one described and added a key fob. I definitely plan to make the bag again but next time I will play around with the inside pockets to make them a bit more functional. I prefer a zippered or sectioned pocket.




The second project is a "humbug bag" which has a funky triangular shape. No pattern for this one since I had my own personal tutorial from the lovely & talented Kathleen Murphy but there's a tute for a similar project here. This bag can be made in any size and is a great project for practicing quiliting techniques. I should also mention the gorgeous print fabric on this pouch was a gift from the fabric fairy. I admired it at one of the shops and the next day a yard of the fabric mysteriously appeared in bag. I absolutely love it and just in case the fabric fairy is a reader I wanted to say thank you.

All in all it was a great weekend. I learned a lot and was inspired by all the talented women of the guild. I'm definitely thinking there is another quilt in my future. If you are looking for inspiration I encourage you to check out Kathy, Kathleen and June's blogs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lizbet! Nice blog entry:) Love the bag...so cute with the green courderoy. We loved having you (for the shock value) and hope you come back again. My favorite part of the weekend was when Gail taped the fart machine to the bottome of the ironing board! Try to come to the March guild meeting...we have Ruth McDowell coming she is the best of the best.

Finishing Lines by K.Sperino said...

Lizbet- I really like how your bag turned out. Yes! you have another quilt in your future. The one you posted about before was very pretty. Take care-happy stitchn'